Need design inspiration? Want some help getting started? Say hello to your new best friend, layouts.
A layout is a design crafted by a professional graphic designer, free to be customized any way your heart desires.
Add a layout
To add layouts:
- Go to the Layouts tab.
- Scroll through the layout pane to preview each of the layouts.
- Click to add a layout of your choice.
Delete a layout
To delete a layout:
- Select the layout you wish to delete.
- Press Command/Ctrl + A on your keyboard to select all elements in the layout.
- Click on the Trash bin icon to delete the layout.
- To retrieve a deleted layout, simply click Undo.
Some layouts in the library have a base price of US$1.00 as they are contributed by professional graphic designers. This is on top of the premium elements used in the layout. Deleting the premium elements in the design would still charge you for the layout's base price.
Canva layouts with premium elements
Other layouts in the library do not have a base price but may contain premium element/s. Each premium element is priced at US$1.00. To see the layout information, hover your mouse over the layout and click on the i button on the lower left-hand corner. This will show you the price of the layout, the ID, the premium elements used and the layout designer.
Want your whole team singing from the same hymn sheet? Canva for Work offers the ability to create templates that can be shared with your whole team. This ensure that everyone is editing the same on-brand designs.
With Canva for Work, you also have the privilege of using exclusive premade layouts with your team. They can be found in the Your brand tab.
Add a team template
To add/create a layout and publish it as a team template:
- Create a new design.
- Once finished, toggle the slider labeled as Show team.
- Click the Publish as template option.
- Add a description to help your team members find your template.
- To access team templates you have created, go to Your brand.
Tip: You must either be an administrator or a template designer to be able to add or create a template.
Delete a team template
To delete a team layout/template:
- Click the Your Brand tab and select the Templates tab.
- Click on the expand arrow in the top right corner of the template.
- Click Remove as template.
Note: Deleted templates cannot be restored.
Aside from thousands of premade existing layouts in the Canva library, our in-house graphic designers make sure that our layouts are up-to-date and relevant by creating great-looking holiday and seasonal layouts for special occasions like Christmas, New Year, Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day.
There are only free elements in my layout, why am I still being charged? (contributed layouts)
If you are still being charged without using premium elements or paid images in your design chances are you are using a contributed layout. Layouts contributed by professional graphic designers have a $USD 1 base price. Here's what you can do to make sure you don't get charged:
- Open your design.
- Add a new page.
- Select all elements in your design.
- Drag it onto the new page.
- Delete the page where you initially applied the layout.
- Try downloading again to check if the charge has been removed.
I accidentally clicked on a layout
Clicking on a layout immediately adds it to the current active page of the design. This also overwrites the design that is currently on that page. You can revert back to a previous version by clicking the Undo button on the upper left side of the design or by clicking Command/CTRL + Z on your keyboard.
Your undo and redo history will be lost when you refresh or close your design.
I want to use a layout in another design type
If you have a Canva for Work account, you can easily resize an existing layout to another template dimension through Magic resize and Change dimensions features. However, if you are using a standard Canva account, these features are not available.