Typography is the art and technique of arranging type. The aim of the game is to make your written language look aesthetically appealing and easy to read so audience’s can absorb your message.
With millions of fonts, finding the right one can be overwhelming. Thankfully Canva provides a variety of text and text holders which you can easily use and apply in your design.
Add and delete text
To add and delete text:
- Go to Text.
- At the top of the text pane are some standard styles for Heading, Subheading, and Body text. Click or drag any of these into your design.
- Edit, color, and delete text via the editor toolbar.
Text holders are text boxes with graphic designs. They can be found in the designer tool after clicking on the Text tab on the left-hand side of your page. Once you have chosen a text holder of your liking, you can edit the color, fonts, text and size of the text.
To select and use text holders:
- Go to Text.
- Click or drag the text holder onto your page.
- Edit, color, and delete your text holder via the editor toolbar.
Canva has tons of different text styles to match your different design ideas. You can easily format them to bold, italics, uppercase, list and align left, center or right. You can also change the size, text color, add hyperlinks, make a copy, or bring forward or backward.
To format a text element:
- Select a text element to open its editor toolbar right above your design. You will see an option to change the font, font size and color.
- Select the option you want to format your text into.
If you want to undo this simply click Undo or repeat the above process to format all the letters to its original formatting style.
Resize the text box
To resize your text box, simply click on the text box element you would like to resize. You can then drag the resize anchors outward or inward to increase or decrease the size of the element, respectively.
Move and rotate
To move your text box, simply hover your mouse over it. Once you see the cross cursor, drag the grid to move it around the editor page. To rotate it, simply click and drag the rotate anchor located at the bottom of the text box.
Copy or duplicate
To copy or duplicate, click to select the text box then click on the Copy button from the editor toolbar.
Canva comes with a powerful text tool that you can use to make beautiful typography. In addition to adjusting the typeface, size, and color of your text, we have advanced features you can use to alter the feel and flow of your text. These two features are letter spacing and line height.
To adjust letter spacing or line height of text:
- Click on a text element to open its edit menu, then click the expand arrow at the far right-hand side of the edit menu.
- Click on Text spacing - you will then see two sliders, one for letter spacing and the other for line height.
- Drag these sliders to the left or to the right to decrease or increase the letter spacing and line height.
Note: Keep in mind that you will only see the effect of the line height slider if your text element has multiple lines of text. Also, text spacing affects every character in a text element. If you would like to have different amounts of letter spacing or line height for different words in your text, you will need to split your text across several text elements.
In Canva, you can adjust the text alignment styles from flush left, centered, and flush right.
To adjust alignment of text:
- Click to select the text you would like to adjust.
- Click on the drop down arrow to reveal text alignment styles.
- The currently selected text alignment style will have a checkmark to the right of it. To change the text alignment, click on whichever alignment style you like.
One popular style for posters and flyers is to use all capitalize or uppercase letters.
To make all the text of a text element uppercase:
- Select a text element to open its editor toolbar.
- Select the Uppercase (AA) option to format your text in all capital letters.
A hyperlink is a word or phrase that you can click on to jump into another page, a new document or another section within the current document.
In Canva, when you download your design as a PDF, your readers will be able to click on the links, and open it on the browser. A blue link icon will now show up on the element’s edit menu, so you can see which elements are hyperlinked at a glance.
To add a hyperlink to a text element in your design:
- Select a text element to open its editor toolbar.
- Click the expand arrow to show advanced options, then press the link button.
- Type or paste the URL, then hit enter from your keyboard.
Tip: Hyperlinks will work only with PDFs. This is because the universal PNG/JPEG format doesn't allow for embedded links.
Transparent texts are particularly useful when overlaying text onto complex images.
To adjust the transparency of your text or text holder:
- Click on the text or text holder you’d like to make transparent.
- Click the expand arrow on the far right-hand corner of the edit menu to show advanced options.
- Click on the transparency button to open the transparency slider.
- Drag the slider to the left to make the element increasingly transparent.
To move the text forward and back from another element in a design, simply click on the text element you wish to layer. Click on the Arrange option from the editor toolbar. Choose whether you wish to move the element Back or Forward.
Text alignment changes when downloading
You have finished your design and you are ready to download. However, upon downloading some text appears bunched up, jumbled and the spacing is different from how it appears in the Canva editor. There are a few possible explanations for this:
Different browsers render the same content differently. The way text appears in Firefox may not be the exact same way it appears in Chrome. Canva's export engine runs on Chrome, so ensure what you are seeing in the Editor matches what you will see upon downloading, use the latest version of Google Chrome. If this fails, attempt to download your design on alternate browsers.
Not all uploaded fonts are created equal (particularly free ones) and in some cases these will not export correctly due to technical errors in the font itself. Importing text and bullet points from MS Word is also error prone. The only solution at present in both of these instances is to remove or replace the affected font.
It could be that your design hasn’t fully saved in Canva. To fix this, save your design manually by going to File and then click Save. You can also try refreshing the page and then stretch the text box so there is extra space after your text, then try downloading your design again.
The Lobster font type will not export correctly on all machines. If you experience difficulty, the only solution at present is to use an alternate font type.
Special characters/foreign languages
There may be instances where you need to create designs with special characters or symbols. In most cases, when you download the design the text appears differently. The main reason this happens is we do not fully support special characters yet.
Canva also does not support foreign characters such as Chinese, Hebrew, Greek, etc. However, we are looking into the possibilities of adding this features soon.
For now, what you can do is to take a screenshot of the special/foreign character from your design editor page, and upload it on Canva as an image so you can still make use of it.